Use AOL Mail Through an Email Client
Make sure you input the proper server settings. To send mail from an email client via your AOL Mail account, provide program instructions for accessing the AOL Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server. AOL Mail uses this server to send mail from your account.
If an email program or application does not know how to access the AOL Mail SMTP server, it will not send email messages. Post Office Protocol (POP) or Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) settings download email to the mail client, and the SMTP server settings send mail via AOL mail.
AOL SMTP Mail Settings :-
The AOL Mail SMTP server settings are the same regardless of the program or device you are using. Enter these SMTP server settings to send mail from your AOL Mail account using your preferred method:
- SMTP server address: smtp.aol.com
- SMTP Username – Your AOL Mail screen name, which appears before “@ aol.com” in the email address. For example, if your address is firstname.lastname@example.org, “I” is the corresponding screen name.
- Password: your AOL Mail password.
- Port using SSL / TLS: 587
- TLS / SSL required: Yes (enable SSL encryption for incoming and outgoing email).
Troubleshoot setup issues :-
If the email client does not send the mail correctly, it is possible that the password was entered incorrectly or there is a wrong configuration. Make sure the settings are correct. If you still have trouble, delete the email account, exit the email client, and restart the program, provided you know your password. Or restart the device and try again.
Using other mail apps for AOL Mail :-
Some AOL Mail functionality is not available when accessing email messages from an email client. For example, if the client uses the POP protocol and is configured to delete email from the AOL mail server after downloading the messages, the same emails will not be available to the client using the IMAP protocol (since IMAP only relies on mail on the server).
These are the other characteristics that are affected by some email servers:
Do not report spam button: If you want to report an email message as spam, move it to your Spam or Spam folder.
Deleted messages might be missing – The deleted email might appear in the original folder with the ellipsis, or you might not be able to see the deleted email. It depends on the email server.
Messages read on one device may not be marked as “read” on another device – the same is true for emails marked as unread, emails marked as important, and messages starred on the client. These messages may not be marked the same way on another client.
Sent message status could not be verified: Because POP does not store sent messages on the email server, another email client will not display messages sent from a client configured with the POP protocol.
Access AOL Email Using Apple’s Mail :-
You can add an account to the Apple Mail application on your Mac specifically for accessing your AOL email.
- on your Mac by clicking on it in the Dock at the bottom of the screen.
- Click Mail on the menu bar and select Add an account.
- In the Choose Mail Account Provider window, select AOL and click Continue.
- Enter your AOL username or email address and click Next.
- Enter your password and select Login.
- Read the information on the screen that indicates what information AOL gives your Mac permission to access. This information includes AOL contacts, calendar, profiles, and mail. To accept the AOL terms, select Accept.
- Touch the applications you want to use with the AOL account and select Done.
- Press AOL in the Mail app mailbox list to read and send AOL email from your Mac.
AOL Mail Troubleshooting
Most of the problems encountered with AOL mail revolve around sending or receiving mail. Configuring the outgoing and incoming mail settings correctly fixes most problems.